This Frito Chili Pie Recipe is a simple and fun way to enjoy delicious homemade chili. It’s a hearty and cheesy meal that you will look forward to making. It has all the flavors of traditional chili including peppers, onions, and smoky spices. I am familiar with making meals like chili in a CrockPot but you can skip that step with this Frito chili pie and I promise it’s just as yummy. Since it is so quick, you can make it on a busy weeknight. It will quickly become one of your go-to recipes!
A New Family Favorite
Dinners that are made in under 30 minutes always rank higher in my book. I had never heard of Frito Chili Pie until recently and let me tell you, I’m so glad that I did! I have picky kids and they love to eat this! The Frito chips topped with flavorful ground beef and cheese remind them of walking tacos or nachos. You can never go wrong with either of those! Plus, they get to choose their favorite toppings to make them their own. This is such a family-friendly meal that you will likely get asked about it often.
How to Make This Frito Chili Pie Recipe
This meal all starts with an easy and yummy homemade chili. It takes very little effort but tastes like it’s been cooking in your kitchen all day long. The smell of the spices as they cook down with the ground beef and veggies is mouthwatering. If you’re like me, you’ll have a hard time waiting to add this easy recipe to your dinner schedule.
Related: Crockpot Chili
Ingredients Needed to Make Frito Chili Pie
- lean ground beef or ground chuck – You may use ground turkey if preferred.
- yellow onion, finely diced – Yellow or white onion is best.
- green bell pepper, finely diced
- garlic, finely minced
- tomato sauce
- tomatoes with green chilies, mild, like Rotel – Feel free to use medium or hot to increase the heat level if you like.
- chili powder
- dried oregano
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Frito corn chips
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese – You can also use fiesta blend or taco blend cheese instead.
Instructions for Frito Chili Pie
Brown your ground beef in a large skillet breaking it into crumbled pieces with a wooden spoon. Cook until it’s about halfway done.
Add the onions and green peppers and cook until soft. It should only take about 3-4 minutes. Be sure the ground beef is also fully cooked.
Drain the excess fat from the skillet.
Add the minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
Add in the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes with chiles, and all your seasonings (chili powder, oregano, salt, pepper) to the meat mixture. Bring your chili to a boil and then reduce it to a low heat simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
Prepare your corn chips on a serving platter and add to the top of the corn chips your chili and shredded cheese. Let it sit for a couple of minutes while hot so the cheese melts before serving.
Tip: Instead of a platter, you can divide the corn chips and chili on individual plates or small bowl.
Our Finished Frito Chili Pie
You can serve this recipe with so many different toppings! Here are some of our favorite ideas.
- Green onions
- Red onions
- Dollop of sour cream
- Diced red onion
- Sliced jalapenos – pickled or fresh
- Extra cheese
- Diced fresh tomatoes
- Hot sauce
Storing and Reheating Frito Chili Pie
If you have any leftover chili, it can be stored in your refrigerator in an airtight container. It will keep for about 3-4 days. It’s easiest to reheat in the microwave and you can serve the easy frito pie leftovers over extra crunchy corn chips, or it’s so good that you can eat it on its own, too.
More Chili Recipes for Easy Dinners From Kids Activities Blog
Do you love this Frito Chili Pie as much as we do? We would love to know what toppings you love to use or if you have come up with any fun variations. Let us know in the comments!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small (about ½ cup) onion, finely diced
- ½ cup green pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (10 oz) tomatoes with green chilies, mild, like Rotel
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bag (9 oz) corn chips
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, or your favorite blend
- Serving Options
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Red onion, finely diced
- Jalapenos, sliced
- Extra cheese
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, brown ground beef over medium heat until about half way done
- Add onions and green peppers and cook about 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are soft and the beef is completely cooked
- Drain and return to pan
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Pour in tomato sauce, tomatoes and seasonings
- Bring to a low boil, reduce heat and cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes
- Spread corn chips onto platter and top with chili mixture **see notes
- Sprinkle with cheese and allow to set a couple minutes until cheese to melted
- Serve with toppings of your choice
- Store leftovers in refrigerator
Serving – you can also serve on individual plates instead of a platter
You might love this yummy Shepard’s pie recipe!