Mahindra is all set to elevate the Thar experience for families, with the much-anticipated Thar 5-door scheduled to hit the roads in the latter half of 2024. The internet has been abuzz with spy shots offering a glimpse of the larger Thar’s unique exterior design, and it promises more than just an expanded silhouette. Targeting relatively affluent families, Mahindra aims to make the Thar 5-door not just bigger but also more upmarket and practical compared to its 3-door counterpart.
The Thar 5-door is gearing up to embrace a host of technological upgrades, emphasizing its commitment to providing an enhanced driving and riding experience. Here’s a sneak peek into the features that set the upcoming SUV apart:
1. 10.25-inch Touchscreen Infotainment: The redesigned dashboard of the Thar 5-door will accommodate a spacious 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system. Similar to the XUV400, it is expected to run on the latest Adrenox software and support over-the-air (OTA) updates.
2. 10.25-inch Digital Driver Display: Top-spec versions will boast a large digital instrument cluster, akin to the XUV700, providing drivers with comprehensive information. Lower variants, while retaining analog dials, are anticipated to feature an enlarged central MID inspired by the Scorpio N.
3. Dash Cam: Higher trims will incorporate a dash cam with front and rear monitoring functions, enhancing safety and surveillance on the road.
4. Front Armrests: Prioritizing comfort, individual armrests for the driver and front passenger will be introduced.
5. Seating Layout: While initial spy shots showcased two individual seats for rear passengers, the 5-door is expected to offer versatility with an additional bench seat, accommodating three occupants with ease.
6. Rear Seat Improvements: Rear passengers can anticipate dedicated AC vents, and those opting for the bench seat will enjoy the added convenience of a rear center armrest.
7. Sunroof: Elevating the driving experience, higher trims will feature a single-pane, powered sunroof, bringing a touch of the outdoors inside the SUV.
In addition to these technological advancements, the Thar 5-door places a strong emphasis on practicality. With a 300mm longer wheelbase than the 3-door variant, the rear of the SUV promises a more spacious and comfortable experience. The larger boot space, coupled with Mahindra’s plans to incorporate additional storage spaces and cubbies, ensures improved utility for families on the go. Expect a boost in material quality across the cabin, from the dash to the doors and even in seat upholstery.
Under the hood, both the 3- and 5-door Thars will share the powerful 2.0-litre turbo-petrol and 2.2-litre turbo-diesel engines, complemented by 6-speed manual and automatic gearbox options. Off-road enthusiasts can rejoice as the off-road gear will be a shared feature, with slight tweaks to the 5-door model’s suspension, depending on the chosen powertrain.
Production is slated to commence in June, with an ambitious target of around 4,000 units of the Thar 5-door, possibly known as the Thar Armada, rolling off the assembly line each month. The anticipation for this larger, more feature-packed Thar is building, promising an exciting chapter for Mahindra enthusiasts and families alike.